Monday, April 11, 2005

Runningwoman

I wasn't always a runner. In my Army days, I was the slow girl running 20 feet behind the formation, huffing and shuffling and looking like I was going to fall dead in the road within the next five strides. I failed the run portion of my PT test more times than I care to remember. I hated running like I hated the dentist.

But now I see it as an activity that is all mine. I run for me; not because it makes me size 8 jeans-ready, or so I can load up on beer and pizza on the weekends without feeling guilty, but because I am a warrior when I run. I am Darryl Hannah in Clan of the Cave Bear (crappy movie but you get the idea). No kids, no husband, no boss. ME. Kicking butt. Pushing my limits. It reminds me of who I really am: awesome, capable, apocolypse-ready woman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bunty said...

have u seen the movie "What women Want" starring Mel Gibson?
u just wrote what is described in the movie in an ad campaign designed for Nike - Women's Division.
the punch line is especially good - "no games; just sports"
do check out, if u haven't seen the movie

Mon Apr 11, 11:11:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home