Monday, March 21, 2005

You know, I started off not really giving a shit about this Terri Schaivo thing. It's been in and out of the news for years, just another news story to absorb slightly (like wiping off the kitchen counter, just picking up enough juice residue and toast crumbs so that it looks like its clean) and then forget about. But today, an opinion suddenly formed in my gut*, and now I'm a little pissed off about the whole thing. So pissed off, I found a template on Microsoft for a living will, and considered filling it out. (Haven't yet, though it's still open on my desktop.)

I can't understand why Congress is kicking open the front door and marching through these people's personal lives. This is a family matter. Her husband, the guy Terri promised loved and married when she wasn't a vegetable, gets to make the decision that is closest to both their hearts. At least that's what the courts have said.

Joseph asked what I would want him to do in a similar situation. Heck, if the reasoning and emotional part of my brain has turned to liquid, let me go. Kiss me sweetly on the forehead, give a sharp salute, and remember me as the smart, sexy, wonderfully humourous girl I was. I think a massive dose of morphine would be preferable to having the feeding tube yanked out, but if my brain is big bowl of tomato soup, the actual tool of death is rather pointless.

Looking for links? One more place to find info. Via nancynall.com.


*sort of like a tumor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home